Friday, October 4, 2013

Real America and International Panthers

Laurie Bell, a junior on the 2013 Milwaukee men's soccer team, will once again be blogging all season long on the UWM website. Today is his seventh entry of the year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We started off the week with a victory over last year’s conference champs, Detroit. It wasn’t our finest defensive display but who cares when you have Aaron Horvat? We won the game 5-3 with Horvat netting four times. Yep, four! Deservedly, he has since been named national player of the week and conference player of the week. His performance was so good that I heard rumors he was being considered to be on the cover of the next GQ magazine – apparently it was just his terrible haircut that let him down. Maybe his well-defined calves will get him in Men’s Health instead.

We then traveled a total of about 20 hours on a bus with no DVD player to take on Nebraska-Omaha. We won 3-1 which made the trip home more bearable. So did the post-game dinner. We parked up outside a Golden Corral and I was shown a bit of real America. There was steak, burgers, pizza, pasta, ice cream, fruit, “cotton candy” (I call it candyfloss), marshmallows, a chocolate fountain. Hundreds of eating options spread out before us at the all-you-can-eat buffet. When I’m old, grey and reminiscing about my college experience in the U.S., I’ll be able to tell my grandchildren about the time I stuffed my face in Nebraska. It was truly special.

There will be a fair few international supporters gracing the Engelmann bleachers this week. James Ashcroft’s parents touched down in America on Friday and my dad, uncle and grandfather will be flying the Manchester to Chicago route the following day. Both groups will be there in time for our game against Wright State. With his folks in town, Ashy will be hoping to continue his “goalscoring form,” as he is calling it, after netting from distance with literally a slice of luck against Nebraska-Omaha. His cross ended up in the goal – sneaking just inside the near post – with the miskick deceiving the helpless goalkeeper.

It will be fantastic for both of us to have family in the stands and I know my 90-year-old granddad has been as giddy as a kid before Christmas in anticipation of the trip. And he has made his expectations for his stay clear: nothing less than Panther victories will do. He’s a little nervous about the potentially cold conditions during the three evening games, though. I’ve already offered him three blankets and a UWM letter jacket to keep him covered but I’m not sure he’s satisfied. So, if you see a white-haired bloke in a wheelchair trying to build an open fire by the field, you’ll know that’s Bell Senior, Senior. I’ll be trying to get on the score sheet to impress my Uncle – a legendary goalscorer in his day playing in the minor English leagues. And to have my dad watching will just feel right. Regrettably, my mother couldn’t come because of work commitments but the three men have agreed to sample as much Wisconsin beer and cheese as possible on her behalf. I’m sure Jamie’s mum and dad will be doing the same.

Finally, I must recognize the reformation of the notorious Engelmann Elite. College soccer nearlyman Nick Grbvac has taken control of the Milwaukee soccer firm, acting as the ‘major’. All sports-loving students should get involved, don the (free) t-shirt and earn citywide status as a member of the rowdy supporters group. Check facebook for details. If not, come to the games anyway and cheer us on in a more civilized manner. Just don’t get in my granddad’s way!